Illinois Freedom of Information Act
Huntley Area Public Library District
- A brief description of the Library is as follows:
- The Huntley Area Public Library District serves the community by providing a wide variety of items to borrow and by offering services for residents of all ages. The Library provides information, programs and book and resource recommendations. The library’s website offers 24-hour access to electronic information services and the catalog. High quality, personalized service is the library’s hallmark.
- View the Organizational Chart.
- The total amount of the Library’s operating budget for FY2017-18 is $3,062,146.47. Funding sources are property taxes, state and federal grants, fines, charges, and donations. Tax levies are:
- Corporate purposes (for general operating expenditures)
- The office is located at: Huntley Area Public Library District, 11000 Ruth Road, Huntley, IL 60142. (847) 669-5386 fax: (847) 669-5439
- The Library has approximately the following number of persons employed:
- Full Time: 21
- Part Time: 25
- The Huntley Area Public Library District Board of Library Trustees exercises control over the Library’s policies and procedures. The board meets on the third Wednesday of each month at 7:00 p.m. in the Program Room of the Library.
It’s members include: Leslie Threadgill-Smith, President; Chris Budzynski, Vice President; Marjorie Smith, Secretary; David Moore, Treasurer; Sean Cratty, Shannon Mckibben, and Dave Novalinski.
- The Library is required to report and be answerable for its operations to: The Illinois State Library, Springfield, Illinois. Its members are: State Librarian, Jesse White (Secretary of State); Director of State Library, Anne Craig; and various other staff.
- You may request the information and the records available to the public in the following manner:
- Use a request form or submit a request via email, by written letter, or fax. The request form is not required, but is preferred.
- Your request should be directed to the following FOIA officers in the Library’s Business Office: Library Director, Frank Novak; Head of Public Services, Rosie Lukas; or Head of Information Services, Elizabeth Steffensen at email@example.com.
- You must indicate whether you have a “commercial purpose” in your request.
- You must specify whether the records requested are to be disclosed for inspection or to be copied. If you desire that any records be certified, you must specify which ones.
- To reimburse the Library for the actual costs for reproducing and certifying (if requested) the records, you will be charged the following fees:
- There is a $1.00 charge for each certification of records.
- There is no charge for the first fifty (50) pages of black and white text either letter or legal size.
- There is a $.10 per page charge for copied records in excess of 50 pages.
- The actual copying cost of color copies and other sized copies will be charged.
- If the records are kept in electronic format, you may request a specific format and if feasible, they will be so provided, bit it not, they will be provided either in the electronic format in which they are kept (and you would be required to pay the actual cost of the medium only, i.e. disc, diskette, tape, etc.) or in paper as you select.
- The office will respond to a written request within five (5) working days or sooner if possible. An extension of an additional five (5) working days may be necessary to properly respond.
- Records may be inspected or copied. If inspected, an employee must be present throughout the inspection.
- The place and times where the records will be available are as follows:
Monday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Huntley Area Public Library
- The following items are available on the library website or through a FOIA request form:
- Monthly Financial Statements
- Annual Receipts and Disbursements Reports
- Budget and Appropriation Ordinances
- Levy Ordinances
- Operating Budgets
- Annual Audits
- Minutes of the Board of Library Trustees
- Library Policies, including Resource Selection
- Adopted Ordinances and Resolutions of the Board
- Annual Reports to the Illinois State Library
Please note that certain types of information maintained by the library are exempt from inspection and copying.
- For more information on the Illinois Freedom of Information Act, visit the website posted by the Illinois Attorney General at http://foia.ilattorneygeneral.net/default.aspx