Board of Trustees
Huntley Area Public Library District
Minutes of the Regular Meeting
July 17, 2019
Call to Order: A regular meeting of the Board of Trustees of the Huntley Area Public Library District was held in the Program Room at the Huntley Area Public Library District, 11000 Ruth Road, Huntley, IL 60142 on July 17, 2019. President Budzynski called the meeting to order at 5:30 p.m.
Trustees Present: Vito Benigno, Chris Budzynski, Sean Cratty, David Novalinski, Marjorie Smith and Leslie Threadgill-Smith
Trustees Absent: Shannon McKibben
Library Staff Present: Frank Novak, Library Director; Pamela Kampwerth, Head of Circulation and Outreach Services; Rosie Lukas, Head of Public Services, and Sergio Ramos, Head of Maintenance
Visitors Present: None
Public Comments: There were no public comments.
Finance Committee Meeting: Novalinski motioned, Cratty seconded that the board approve the minutes of the Finance Committee held on June 14, 2019. All Ayes. No Nays. Motion carried.
Facilities Committee Meeting: Benigno motioned, Novalinski seconded that the board approve the minutes of the Facilities Committee Meeting held on June 17, 2019. All Ayes. No Nays. Motion carried.
Secretary’s Report: Threadgill-Smith motioned, Novalinski seconded that the Board approve the minutes of the Regular Meeting held on June 19, 2019 as presented. All Ayes. No Nays. Motion carried.
Financial Reports and Checks: Cratty motioned, Threadgill-Smith seconded that the Board approve the checks and financial report for June 2019 as presented. Roll call votes were: Benigno-Aye; Budzynski-Aye; Cratty-Aye; Novalinski-Aye, Smith-Aye and Threadgill-Smith-Aye. Six Ayes. No Nays. Motion carried.
Monthly Income/Expense Report (Discussion): Trustees reviewed the Income/Expense Report-June 2019 and there were no questions. Novak told the Board the money from the bond bank had been transferred into library accounts. Cratty will review bills so they can be paid in a timely manner.
Library Director’s Report: Presented by Novak.
Novak gave a presentation to the board about the most recent changes to the architect’s building plan. Changes included:
- the program rooms rotated north to allow additional space for the Children’s Room
- there will be two service desks
- the individual study rooms in the Fiction/Nonfiction room became one quiet reading room
- the exterior wall in the current Nonfiction room will be removed as that option is more economical than preserving the wall
- Local History will be located in the current Nonfiction room
- Kitchenette will be moved so it is more accessible
- the area around the fireplace will be more open
- it may be possible to have a tech/IT room in the area of the current server
- Tech area is still being tweaked but hopefully can include a maker space, collaboration room, sound room, a game room for teens and a business area
- Teen area has been relocated to the west end of the building
A design and development cost estimate should be completed in late August. The current plan is to go to bid by late November and award the bid in January.
Lukas left the meeting at 6:03 p.m.
Policy & Personnel: There was no report.
Finance: There was no report.
Facilities: There was no report.
Friends’ Liaison: Presented by Kampwerth. Friends are preparing for the August Book Sale and have begun planning for the Holiday Basket Fundraiser. The group plans to clear out of the two closets they now use for book storage after the September Fall Fest book sale.
Construction Management Contract Approval:
- A134 with Rider and A201 with Rider: Budzynski motioned, Novalinski seconded to approve the rider as written. Six Ayes. No Nays. Motion carried. If there are any changes, the final contracts can be approved by Novak and the library attorney.
- Architect’s Fee Revision: Benigno motioned, Threadgill-Smith seconded to approve the fee revision. Six Ayes. No Nays. Motion carried. Novak explained the revision was based on the increase in both the scope and size of the project.
Non-Resident Card Fee: Threadgill-Smith motioned to set the fee at $192, Novalinski seconded. Six Ayes. No Nays. Motion carried.
Old Business: There was no Old Business.
Upcoming Dates: The next Regular Monthly Board Meeting of the Board of Trustees will be Wednesday, August 21, 2019 at the Huntley Area Public Library District at 5:30 p.m.
Policy Committee Meeting Date and Time: Smith asked for a policy committee meeting. Meeting was set for August 21, 2019 at the Huntley Area Public Library District at 5:00 p.m.
Novak told the Board they may need to add a couple of special meeting dates related to the building project from September into the winter.
Executive Session: There was no Executive Session.
Items from Executive Session for Action: None.
Adjourn: Cratty motioned, Threadgill-Smith seconded to adjourn the meeting at 6:13 p.m. All Ayes. No Nays. Motion carried.
Marjorie Smith, Recorder