The staff and Board of Trustees at the Huntley Area Public Library are excited to announce that we have a phased plan for reopening of the library!
Beginning Monday, June 8 book drops will be open at 8 a.m. and residents may return library items. Please use only the Ruth Road entrance, as construction crews will use the entrance from Main Street. The book return at Jewel will temporarily remain closed.
Because we take the health and well-being of the staff and community seriously, items will be quarantined for 3 days before they are checked back in, so users will continue to see items on their account during this time.
Please note that over 15,000 items are currently checked out! To alleviate congestion at the library, you may keep your items through June 30. Due dates have been extended through July 1. If you wish to return items immediately, we are requesting that you return them as listed below to help with this process.
- Monday, June 8: Last names beginning with A – E
- Tuesday, June 9: Last names beginning with F – J
- Wednesday, June 10: Last names beginning with K – O
- Thursday, June 11: Last names beginning P – S
- Friday, June 12: Last names beginning T – Z
Beginning on Monday, June 22 staff will begin offering a no-contact hold pickup service by appointment only. In order to receive library items, residents must place items on hold in one of two ways:
- from the library’s website at using their library card number, or
- by calling the library at 847.669.5386, press 3
You will be notified when holds are available. Beginning June 15, pickup appointments may be scheduled at https://www.huntleylibrary.org/schedule or by calling the library. You may pick up your items either in the lobby or by delivery to the parking lot. Additional information will be provided when you schedule your pickup.
Please do be careful at the library as construction has continued through the stay-at-home order. The parking lot may look different and traffic may be busy. Please watch for staff members delivering books in the parking lot.
We look forward to seeing you and hope that the library can reopen with full service very soon. Thank you for your patience and understanding during this time.
No-Contact Hold Pickup Procedures Beginning June 22
Pickup is available by appointment only and is available for items placed on hold. When arriving to the library please have your library card or photo ID ready.
West Parking Lot Hold Pickup:
- Park in the new west parking lot along Ruth Road at your scheduled time. Look for the designated Curbside Delivery parking spaces.
- Call the library at 847.669.5386, press 1 to notify staff that you have arrived and note which numbered parking space you are in. (spaces will be numbered)
- Stay in your vehicle. A staff member will bring your items to you.
- Have your library card or ID ready in case we cannot identify your vehicle.
- Pop your trunk or roll down your back window.
- A library staff member will place your bagged items in your vehicle.
- Any items that need to be returned to the library should be placed in the blue book drops.
- Park in the parking lot near the gazebo at your scheduled time. Look for the designated Lobby Pickup parking spaces.
- Call the library at 847.669.5386, press 1 to notify staff that you have arrived.
- A staff member will pull your bagged items for pickup.
- Enter the lobby and visit the table coinciding with the letter from your pickup notice. (A, B, or C)
- Show your library card or ID to a staff member.
- A staff member will place your bagged items on the table for you.
We are working to make this process safe, quick, and as efficient as possible. Stay safe and we look forward to seeing you soon!
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What’s the best way to reach you if I have questions?
A: Main Phone Number: 847-669-5386
Schedule Hold Pickup: Press 7 (available beginning June 15)
Check-out Desk: Press1 email@example.com
Information Desk: Press 3 firstname.lastname@example.org
Children’s Desk: Press 4 email@example.com
Note: If phones are busy, please leave a message with the details of your question or request and we will return your call.
Chat service is also available on our website at www.huntleylibrary.org
Q: What are your hours?
A: Phone or Chat Assistance Hold Pick up Service (by appointment only)
Monday 9am – 5pm 10am – 1pm, 2pm – 4pm
Tuesday 9am – 8pm 10am – 1pm, 4 – 7 pm
Wednesday 9am – 5 pm 10am – 1pm, 2pm – 4pm
Thursday 9am – 8pm 10am – 1pm, 4 – 7 pm
Friday 9am – 5 pm 10am – 1pm, 2pm – 4pm
Saturday 9am – 5 pm 10am – 1pm, 2pm – 4pm
Q: When can I return my materials?
A: Book drops reopen on Monday, June 8, but to alleviate congestion at the library, you may keep your items through June 30. Due dates have been extended through July 1. If you wish to return items earlier, we are requesting that you return them as listed below to help with this process.
Monday, June 8: Last names beginning with A – E
Tuesday, June 9: Last names beginning with F – J
Wednesday, June 10: Last names beginning with K – O
Thursday, June 11: Last names beginning P – S
Friday, June 12: Last names beginning T – Z
Q: When is no-contact hold pickup service going to start?
A: Pickup service will begin on Monday, June 22 and is available by appointment only during the hours listed below. You may begin scheduling your pickup appointment on Monday, June 15 from the library’s website: https://www.huntleylibrary.org/schedule
No-Contact Hold Pick up Hours
Monday: 10am – 1pm, 2pm – 4pm
Tuesday: 10am – 1pm, 4 – 7 pm
Wednesday: 10am – 1pm, 2pm – 4pm
Thursday: 10am – 1pm, 4 – 7 pm
Friday: 10am – 1pm, 2pm – 4pm
Saturday: 10am – 1pm, 2pm – 4pm
Q: Is there a limit to how many items I can check out through hold pickup service at one time?
A: There is a checkout limit of 10 items per library card.
Q: How do I place items on hold?
A: You are able to place items on hold through our website at the library’s online catalog using your library card number, or call us at 847.669.5386, press 3 to speak with a staff member.
Q: What if I want an item and the Huntley Area Public Library doesn’t have it?
A: Our library consortium is working toward transporting materials between libraries again, but no date has been established. Remember, you can also find digital materials available 24/7 such as downloadable ebooks, audiobooks, and more with services like hoopla, Libby and Overdrive. Learn more about our digital services here.
The Library Board of Trustees and Staff members take the health and wellbeing of our community seriously. While we are glad to have resumed some level of service, we want you to know the following:
- Library staff members are not permitted to report to work if they are ill
- Library staff members will practice social distancing and some staff have been relocated within the library to provide safe work spaces
- All staff members are required to wear face coverings
- Due to the construction project, some staff have had to be relocated to make way for the connection of the new building.
- Library maintenance personnel are cleaning and disinfecting the library. A deeper cleaning is performed each morning before we report to work, and staff continue disinfecting throughout the day. We are especially focused on disinfection of:
- Doors and high-touch surfaces such as the push-button assist doors and push bars
- Surfaces such as tables, countertops, chairs
- All technology equipment
It is impossible to sanitize and disinfect all library items, such as pages in books, and within all DVD sleeves. Therefore, as an added safety precaution, staff will be quarantining items for 3 days before checking them in for residents to borrow. Please note that items will continue to appear on your account after you have returned them for up to 3 days or more in order to protect our staff members and future borrowers.
Patrons are required to wear a face covering if entering the library building. If you or a family member are ill please do not visit the library.
We appreciate your patience and understanding. Our staff members are working hard to continue to provide you with the best possible customer service.