On the evening of Sunday, November 22, the library received a mysterious transmission from the North Pole. Staff have captured the video of the transmission for you to view.
Let’s Celebrate — Virtual Very Merry Huntley
The holiday season is here! Library staff have put on their antlers, elf ears, and Santa hats to come up with the most wonderful replacement for our yearly community gathering.
We’ve combined forces with our friends at the Village of Huntley, Community School District 158, Huntley Park District, Huntley Police Department, Huntley Fire Protection District, and the Huntley Chamber of Commerce to make a gift for the community. This December we are excited to debut A Very Merry Huntley Activity Book. These books will be available at the library beginning December 1st in a special gift bag for children that you may pick up at the library (while supplies last). Our partners will also have the activity books during the holiday season!
Musical guest Andy Huber will be delivering his favorite holiday tunes via YouTube that you can watch during the month of December.
Miss Lian will have a holiday craft for you.
Enjoy Story Time with one of Santa’s Elves, too.
Also playing during the entire month will be ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas”, Martina Mathisen portrays Maria Moore, daughter of Clement Clarke Moore, sharing the fascinating story and the origins of American Christmas traditions.
Enjoy 12 Days of Crafting with Karin beginning today. Look for more crafts coming soon on these dates: December 11, 12, 18, 19, 25, 26, and January 1, 2, 8, 9.
Day 1: 3D Snowflakes
Day 2: Woven Paper Hearts
Take a ride on the Polar Express with Miss Debbie:
Watch for a special message from library staff, too!
Winter Holiday Activities for the Family
- Holiday Read-aloud Video – Hooray for the Holidays by Catherine Hapka and illustrated by Mike Byrne. A class celebrates the Holiday traditions of families around the world.
- Find & place Holds on Holiday Books – Search the library’s catalog for Holiday books featuring traditional celebrations like Christmas, Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, and more!
- Color a Yule Log – In Northern Europe, the traditional Yule Log would burn in the fireplace through the 12 days of Christmas celebrations. Download and print a Yule Log coloring page.
- Make your own Dreidel – Spinning the dreidel (a type of top) is a traditional game played during the Jewish holiday of Hanukkah. Print and make a Dreidel. Download the game instructions.
- Decorate a paper Gingerbread House – Many families build festive houses made of gingerbread, and decorate them with frosting and candies. Print a Paper Gingerbread House to color and put together for the holidays.
We’ll keep updating this page with news, program info and videos as they become available. Be sure to subscribe to the library’s YouTube Channel to catch all of our programs & events, past, present and future.
In addition to library events, check out the Village of Huntley website for even more Very Merry Huntley events and activities!
-Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays & Happy New Year