It’s National Library Week 2023. This week we celebrate the library with a little help from the community, our partners, and even the Mayor of Huntley!
Before we get started, we have a joke for you…
Why is the Library the tallest building in Huntley?
Because it has that most stories!
That joke is one that was told to us by a fantastic friend of the community and he was 100% correct. The library may not really be the tallest building in Huntley, but we most have the most stories.
It’s 2023 and the library’s stories are not limited to the ones told in books. When we say that there is something for everyone at the library, we are not joking.
The Story So Far…
We know so many of you use your library for the books, but since the library reopened last year we’ve seen a huge shift as our study rooms, conference, collaboration, and program rooms have been utilized a great deal by our community. Time flies. You know the story of the library’s struggle to find space and to modernize the facility for our community, and you answered the call.
But… there’s more to the story, and it’s a good one.
When we reopened in 2022 the library was able to offer so many new opportunities for the community to explore. Our staff began visiting neighborhoods to discuss the new features you were expecting and several that you may not know about.
If you have been in, you have seen the physical changes to the library, have you had the chance to learn about or explore some of these options?
New or Expanded Features of the Huntley Area Public Library
- Check out a Chromebook or a Hot Spot
Convert your vinyl, cassettes, home videos, 8mm reels, photos to digital
- Introduce your family to Vox books, the next generation of reading, available in English and Spanish
- Learn new skills and refresh existing ones with classes in our Tech Lab
- Free Wi-Fi
- Explore incredible online resources for eBooks, audiobooks, magazines, reference guides, product reviews, genealogy, learning for all ages, arts & crafts, self-improvement, video tutorials, and more
- Use public computers, printers, scanners, copiers, and a fax machine
- Check out a Roku device and binge watch your favorite Netflix films and shows, you also have access to our Vudu movie and TV show library• Print your 3D projects in filament or resin
- Play video games in the Gaming Room
- Visit attractions, museums, zoos, gardens, aquariums, and more using Museum Adventure Pass and Explore More Illinois
- Reserve the Huntley Conference Room or Collaboration Room
- Get your work or project done in a Study Room or the Quiet Room
- Pick up your holds or drop off your items using the drive-up window. It’s always open when the library is open
- Explore Huntley’s Historical roots in the Local History room. Enjoy access to hundreds of photos, documents, and publications
- Shop at the expanded Corner Book Store
- Carry items in shopping baskets and carts
- Drop off items for the Grafton Food Pantry
- Register to vote
- Schedule a one-on-one session to learn about library services
- Pick up a copy of the Northwest Herald in the morning (while supplies last)
We are just scratching the surface and provide the tools for you to craft and tell your own stories. The first step is to get yourself a library card and the rest of the story is up to you.
Enjoy these short videos that feature the chapters of our 2023 National Library Week book.
Thank you Huntley Area community for your continued support.